Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pati Garcia aka Chula Doula with Erykah Badu aka e.badoula in the Huffington Post

So, back in the day 2008, I was invited to teach a 3 part series workshop called Panochas Poderosas at Tia Chucha's Cultural by the wonderfully motivated and eager youth, Karina Ceja.  One of the dates was called "Doulas and Midwives, Oh My! Birth Choices"  I basically shared about what doulas do, the midwifery model of care, and the potential to have an informed birth where you are actively involved in the decision making of your birth experience. I distinctly remember, loving to share the info with the women who showed up because I was told there hadn't been much outreach or awareness building brought to this particular community.  Luckily I had a full-time as a social worker of sorts, so I was able to do this on a donation basis. I just wanted to get the info out there and make solid connection with the community.

My point being- I remember seeing Kamren Curiel's handwriting on the sign-in sheet.  Little did I know that the workshop had affected her so profoundly that 3 years later she'd be inspired to write this article. I'm truly honored to be a catalyst for this young woman's personal birth reflection and be  recognized in the context of one of my long-time inspiration Ms. Erykah Badu, now known as  e. badoula.

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/voto-latino/amp-the-business-of-being_b_1092762.html?ref=fb&ir=Black+Voices&src=sp&comm_ref=false

No comments:

Post a Comment